FundAbility: Get Including! is an initiative designed to help create communities where everyone feels like they belong. Northcott’s Fundability program is offering small grants for events, community facilities or activities to become more inclusive and welcoming for children and young people with disabilities.
Many young people with a disability find it hard to get included in events, activities or at places; not because they can’t do things but because these places need to make a few small, simple changes to make it easier to do those things, like order a coffee or catch the bus to school.
With a FundAbility grant, you have the opportunity to:
• Set up an iPad at your café with a sign language App to take orders from people with communication challenges
• Organise a pop-up under age all abilities nightclub
• Start up a gaming centre and promote to children of all abilities
• Hold an autism awareness pub night or …
• Any idea you come up with that makes your community more welcoming for 9-15 year olds who have a disability.
Your idea doesn’t have to be ground-breaking; it just has to be about including children and young people who have a disability and making everyone feel like they belong.
The FundAbility program is commencing in the following areas: Northern Sydney, Central Coast, Hunter New England, Mid North Coast and Far North Coast. Applications for these areas close on Friday 31 October 2014. They will be launching the FundAbility program in other areas of NSW over the next 18 months. For a full list of participating Local Government Areas, have a look at the FundAbility website at www.fundability.com.au. Please contact Georgina Gold, FundAbility Program Manager on Mb: 0418 225 172 or E: firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries. Join the conversation at www.facebook.com/fundability or on Twitter @FundAbilityNSW.